Old Homes


Lynnhaven Parish Parishioners' Historic Homes 

Six of these Virginia Beach houses are open to the public. Times vary and sometimes are closed for private meetings or renovation. Please check the below web sites for current schedules. The house number is posted first, followed by the construction date, address, zip code and contact number.
(6) 1641 - The Adam Thoroughgood House: 1636 Parish Road, 23455: 385-5100 https://www.museumsvb.org/museums/Pages/thoroughgood-house.aspx
(12) 1690 - The Lynnhaven House: 4409 Wishart Road, 23455: 385-5100
(13) 1732 - The Francis Land House: 3131 Virginia Beach Boulevard, 23452: 385-5100
(17) 1759 - The Upper Wolfsnare House: 2040 Potters Road, 23454: 491-3490
(19b) 1793 - Whitehurst-Buffington House: 2441 N. Landing Rd, 23456: 427-1833 or 427-1151
(20) 1830 - Ferry Plantation House: 4136 Cheswick Ln, 23455: 473-5182

1736 - Old Donation Episcopal Church: 4449 N. Witchduck Rd, 23455: 497-0563: Being a church it is not listed under this web. It is open for public viewing. Free tours 11:30 every first Sunday. Church offices are open Tuesday - Thursday 9-4 and Friday 9-12. Ask for a free self guided tour brochure around the church grounds and historical cemetery. Also ask for a brochure about the above six historical homes. http://olddonation.org
                                                                                  (NLE - no longer in existence)
(1) 1634 - Adam Thoroughgood House No 1. (NLE)
(2) 1634 - Broad Bay Manor / John B. Dey House 
(3) 1636 - Adam Keeling House
(4) 1638 – Lynnhaven Parish Church No. 1 (NLE)
(5) 1638 – The 1st Henry Woodhouse House  (NLE) 
(6) 1641 - The Adam Thoroughgood House 
(7) 1649 - The Weblin House  
(8) 1650 - Rolleston (NLE)
(9) 1673 – Lawson Hall
(9a) 1692 - Lynnhaven Parish Church No 2 
(9b) 1681 - The James and Grace Sherwood House 
(10) 1720 - Fairfields Manor (NLE)  
(11) 1690 - The Hermitage
(12)1690 - The Lynnhaven House
(13)1732 - The Francis Land House
(14) 1734 - The Carraway House
(15) 1730 - Green Hill Plantation
(15a) 1637 – The John Lovett House
(16) 1752 -  John Biddle House
(17) 1759 - The Upper Wolfsnare House 
(18) 1764 - Pembroke Manor  
(19) 1764 - Poplar Hall 
(19a) 1791 - The Taylor-Whittle House
(19b) - 1793 - Whitehurst-Buffington House
(20) 1782 - Ferry Plantation 1 (NLE) 
(20) 1830 - Ferry Plantation 2
(21) 1790 - Pleasant Hall 
(22) 1791 - The Thomas Murray House
(23) 1810 - The Thomas Woodhouse House 
(24) 1827 – Bayville Farm Manor House (NLE)
(25) 1897 – The Charles M. Barnett House
(26) 1830 – Oak Hill
(27) 1832  - Old Comfort
(28) 1855 - White Acre (NLE)
(29) 1920 - The Parks Home
Red Circle (just under house #12) – Old Donation Episcopal Church. Each home title has a distance from Old Donation Church


From its earliest seventeenth century beginning in a wilderness area populated by mostly Native Americans to the early twentieth century, these are some of the homes and estates that housed former Lynnhaven Parish / Old Donation Episcopal Church parishioners. Each House shows the distance and direction from Old Donation Episcopal Church (ODEC) and the ODEC parishioners who built the house. Houses are listed in chronological order of construction date. Those listed with an asterisk (*) are available for public tours.

(1) 1634 - Adam Thoroughgood House No 1. on Battery Road in Baylake Pines (no longer there), is presently the home of Susan Boland, professor at T.C.C. In April 1955 Mr. Floyd Painter discovered Adam’s first wood house while searching for Indian sites and artifacts. His house, considered a wooden structure hastily built, was situated a distance of about two miles from Church Point, the location of Lynnhaven Parish Church No. 1.  At that time the Lynnhaven River had not yet punched through a one mile sand bar at the Lesner Bridge location, and its Chesapeake Bay mouth was four miles west at Little Creek.

For paying passage for 105 indentured servants Captain Thoroughgood was awarded headrights to 5,350 acres of undeveloped lands (today’s northern Virginia Beach).  His isolated Lynnhaven estate encompassed land from Little Creek to the present day Lesner Bridge and south for about three miles.  In the fall of 1634 Captain Adam Thoroughgood moved with his wife Sarah and three daughters plus 105 indentured servants to the shores of the Chesopean (renamed the Lynnhaven by Adam) and built his first crude wooden home on his estate (as pictured above).  The first service of the Lynnhaven Parish Church was held Sunday May 17, 1637 in Captain Thoroughgood’s crude wooden home. Gathering citizens of the little Lynnhaven community, Adam asked 25-year-old Reverend William Wilkinson from Yorkshire, England to hold that first service. Church was held at Captain Thoroughgood’s house every other Sunday until a church at Church Point could be built (1639).

After Adams death in 1640, Sarah completed in 1641 a brick house begun by Adam in 1638, the 2nd Adam Thoroughgood House at 1636 Parish Road near the Church Point church.  In 1641 she moved in with her second husband John Gookin, and her four children where she had her fifth and last child Mary, born in 1642. With the wooden house now vacant, Sarah set up an “ordinary” or tavern for the benefit of travelers on the Lynnhaven River . She staffed it using indentured servants. 

In 1667 Adam Keeling ( 1638 - 1683) organized a group of people to dig a small pilot channel from the Lynnhaven River through a huge sandbar about a half-mile long to the Chesapeake Bay so boats would not have to make the long journey west to the mouth of the river. Ironically, a month later, on September 6, 1667, the dreadful hurricane of 1667 struck, a storm considered one of the most severe hurricanes to ever strike Virginia, which blew open the channel Adam Keeling had built, forever changing the course of the Lynnhaven River and ending river traffic past Sarah’s tavern.



(2) 1634 - Broad Bay Manor / John B. Dey House at 1710 Dey Cove Drive (9.7 mi east) built in 1634 by Thomas Allen (1607-1660). This is the oldest house in Virginia Beach continuously occupied from the time it was built. The original house was laid in Flemish bond brick, created by alternately laying headers and stretchers in a single course and is on a beaytiful site facing Broad Bay. It consists of one room and a loft with dimensions similar to the Adam Keeling and Adam Thoroughgood houses built a few years later. The interior dimensions are 17' 2" by 22' 7" including a fireplace at one end (3' 2" by 10' 3"). There is a stairway beside the fireplace, but was possibly added later as the original upstairs was a low loft and likely accessed by ladder.  Thomas Allen was a lawyer and one of the first members of Lynnhaven Parish. The only record available for Thomas is a will he executed for Henry Woodhouse, another early church member. Over the years owners have built additions onto each side of the original house which is now over 15,000 SF. The Ehrenzellers are the current owners. John B. Dey, for whom the Thomas Allen House and street were renamed, bought the house in 1914. John Dey’s holdings extended from Broad Bay, across present-day North Great Neck Road, to the western branch of the Lynnhaven River.  John Dey’s land holdings were extensive and included Ocean Park Beach fronting the Chesapeake Bay, just west of today’s Lesner Bridge.  “VA Beach, Then and Now,” page 31.

 (3) 1636 - Adam Keeling House at 3157 Adam Keeling Road (8.5 mi east) built in 1636 by Thomas Keeling (1608 - 1664). Thomas Keeling was one of the plantation owners who assembled at the first service on Sunday May 17, 1637 in Captain Thoroughgood’s home. The house has been restored to its former glory and is privately owned by Mr. and Mrs. Carwell. The pictures shows the house prior to restoration.  Like the Adam Thoroughgood House, the Adam Keeling House has been tentatively re-dated by the 2006 Archaeological Assessment of the Adam Thoroughgood House Site Report (see more details of this report that the City of Virginia Beach sponsored under the Adam Thoroughgood House). In the report on page 15 this highly suggestive and misleading statement is made, "Although the Lynnhaven House does not have one [central passage], a central passage can be seen at the Mason House and the 1740s (the date yet to be confirmed by dendrochronology) Keeling House, which is also situated on the Lynnhaven Bay." This report failed to acknowledge historical and factual information. A December 1683 Lower Norfolk County Court record (book 4, page 155) titled Adam Keeling’s will of 25 April, 1683 states, “To my wife Ann Keeling, that plantation I now live and inhabit upon.” Further, a Virginia Pilot article October 24, 1926 states, “The farm [known as the Keeling Tract] contains the famous old Keeling house, a brick structure that was built in 1636, and which is still in an admirable state of preservation.”

Adam Keeling (1638 - 1683), the son of Thomas Keeling, organized a group of people to dig a small pilot channel from the Lynnhaven River through a huge sandbar about a half-mile long to the Chesapeake Bay so boats would not have to make the long journey west to the mouth of the river. A month thereafter, on September 6, 1667, the dreadful hurricane of 1667 struck, a storm the most severe hurricanes to ever strike Virginia. The hurricane devastated the Lynnhaven area as no other storm has ever done. The 1667 hurricane lasted about 24 hours and was accompanied by very violent winds and tides. Most of the houses in the area were blown over, and area crops (including corn and tobacco) were beaten into the ground. Many livestock drowned in area rivers due to the twelve foot storm surge. In 1999 Henry Keeling, a direct descendant of Thomas Keeling (1608-1664), originated the Old Donation Endowment Fund Trust with a one million dollar plus post mortem bequest from his estate. "Virginia Beach, Then and Now,” by Amy Hayes Castleberry, 2010, page 26
http://1bob9.blogspot.com/2009/06/old-donation-history.html

(4) *1638 – Lynnhaven Parish Church No. 1 at 1625 Spring House Trail. Envisioning a town at Church Point, Adam Thoroughgood in 1638 spearheaded the construction of Lynnhaven Parish Church No.1, a glebe (rectory), and court house.

(5) 1638 – The Henry Woodhouse House at 425 N Woodhouse Road (no longer in existence) (11.4 miles East) at Alanton on Linkhorn Bay near in the vicinity of Old Comfort.  Henry Woodhouse III (1607 - 1655) came to Virginia in 1630 and built his home shortly after a 1637 grant of 500 acres as headrights for providing passage to indentured servants to work his estate. He was a member of the first Lynnhaven Parish Vestry from 1642 to 1643. His land was what is now Alanton and the “Desert,” the land near Fort Story at Cape Henry which had high sand dunes until excavated down during WWII for fear the German U-boats could use their prominent appearance from miles off shore to guide them up the Chesapeake Bay.  Generation after generation of Woodhouse’s helped shape Lynnhaven Parish Church. On July 10, 1706 Captain Woodhouse was on the jury that heard the case against Grace Sherwood, accused of being a witch. Capt William Woodhouse (1739 – 1774) fought in the Virginia and Continental Armies during the Revolutionary War (1775–1783). John S. Woodhouse was one of the vestrymen who in March 1856 signed the minutes for the last time until the church was restored in 1916. Vestryman George H.H. Woodhouse (1840 - 1915) was a soldier in the Confederate Army and his memorial plaque is on the wall of the church. Josiah Woodhouse (1863 - 1929) worked to restore the church from 1910 to 1916, and along with his wife and infant daughter, are the only Woodhouse’s buried in Old Donation historical cemetery.


(6) 1641 - The Adam Thoroughgood House at 1636 Parish Road (3.1 mi NE) was acquired by the City of Virginia Beach in 2003 from the city of Norfolk. Virginia Beach employed a dendrochronology laboratory (tree-ring dating) in 2005 to verify the 17th century date ascribed to the house. The Oxford Dendrochronology Laboratory analysis suggested the 17th century date the house held for hundreds of years be re-dated to the 18th century. In doing so, the hundred year newer date downgraded a famous 17th century house to a nondescript 18th century one, primitive by 18th century construction standards. In re-dating the Adam Thoroughgood House and other historic houses in Virginia Beach, the city relied solely on this British tree-ring dating laboratory’s findings and failed to back it up with a second opinion which is common in the matter of valuable historic homes. In this case a second and more accurate analysis would have been mortar dating. For example, the interdisciplinary International Mortar Dating Project (http://www.mortardating.com) can accurately date the mortar used to construct old buildings. At the time of hardening, mortar has absorbed CO2 from the atmosphere providing an accurate date, especially from the sea shells used in mortar in the 17th  and 18th centuries in this area. Further, why weren’t 17th century historical maps, deeds, wills, and other records looked at in more detail (or at all) as the city of Norfolk had done in establishing a 17th century date? Following is information that should leave open for further verification an accurate date of construction for the Adam Thoroughgood House.
The Use of Mortar Dating in Archaeological Studies of Classical and Medieval Structures
“Gateway to the New World,” 1984, (pages 48 - 52) by Florence Kimberly Turner. She dates the house c.1640 stating it was built on land of the original Thoroughgood grant.  Turner asserts that Adam’s widow Sarah and her second husband, John Gookin, moved into the house. She states, “After they were married [1641], he [Colonel John Gookin] moved into Sarah’s [2 nd] house, ‘The Mansion,’ and the couple had one child, Mary.” This would push back Paul Treanor's researched completion date from 1647 to 1641.  Two wealthy and prominent husbands came to live with Sarah (1641 and 1647) and certainly not in Adam's first hastily and crudely constructed wood house in Baylake Pines. The 2006 Archaeological Assessment gives no account of both Colonel John Gookin and Colonel Francis Yeardley, critical in establishing a domicile.
* “The Architecture of the Old South,” 1948, by Henry Chandlee Forman.  He describes the house as a typical 17th century 20X40 standard hall-and-parlor cottage and dates the house c.1640. His assertion is backed up by the Virginia Department of Historic Resources with their assessment that the Adam Thoroughgood House is “One of the oldest houses in the English speaking colonies,  a fine example of the central-hall plan house of the 17th century and is of authentic 17th century design and workmanship.” Further, typical of the 17th century, the house has solid 12 inch thick brick walls, Flemish and English bond brickwork, with a two-room interior, and a large fireplace built on the exterior wall for cooking because settlers cooked inside and hadn't yet moved cooking to exterior buildings – all features of the 17th century.
* “Old Houses in Princess Anne VA,” 1931, by Sadie Scott Kellam& V. Hope Kellam.  She states that Adam Thoroughgood (1604-1640) made his will dated Feb 17, 1639 (before his death) stating, “After the deceased of the widow (his wife), son Adam is to enjoy and posses land, house, and orchard which had been given to wife Sarah during her life time.”  In 1679 Adam’s son, Adam  II (1638 - 1685) made his will expressly stipulating his wife have the house wherein he was then living called the “Grand Manor House” along with six hundred acres most convenient to the house. Kellam describes the house as early colonial since the chimney on the south end of the building was built outside the house wall, a massive structure for cooking.  Only a hundred years later when land owners became wealthy did they move cooking to a separate building staffed with slave.
* “Gleanings in the History of Princess Anne County,” 1924 by Benjamin Dey White. He was the best authority on the history of Princess Anne County making comprehensive record searches. He states, “In 1640, possibly in 1636, he [Adam Thoroughgood] built the first brick house of importance in the County; so well and substantially built, that it is yet standing in a splendid state of preservation, and is claimed to be the oldest brick residence in the State. The river, now a half-mile wide at this point, was then quite narrow, and the Glebe [church rectory] and Court House, were then connected with the Thorogood land by a log.
* Surrounded by Much Larger Homes. In the 17th century land owners built simple two room houses (known as "hall-and-parlor cottages") and invested their time and money in their fields rather than in pretentious homes. By the 18th century, called the "Golden Age," land owner had become prosperous and built much larger homes.  If the Adam Thoroughgood House was built c.1720, as the 2006 Archaeological Assessment report claims, it would have been considered inappropriate for a family at the high end of the social scale in Lynnhaven Parish because surrounding 18th century homes were three to four times larger in size and refinement - similar to Fairfields (c.1720), Fox Hall (1720), the Carraway House (1734), and Rose Hall (1730). Two other homes in the larger surrounding area showing 100 year advancement in design, size and refinement from 17th century architecture include Westover Mansion (c.1730) built for William Byrd on the north bank of the James River in Charles City County and Shirley (c.1730) built for John Carter in Charles City County.
/\17th Century homes still standing - "hall-and-parlor cottages"/\

/\ 18th Century homes still standing four times larger in size and refinement


Compare the last of the Hall-and-Parlor 17th cottages with the 1st of the 18th century houses

*Misrepresenting 17th Century Design for 18th Century. 17th century homes, i.e., the Lynnhaven House (c. 1690), Broad Bay Manor / John B. Dey House (c. 1634), the John Lovett House (1637) and the Adam Keeling House (c.1636) have been either officially re-dated by the City of Virginia Beach or the James River Institute for Archaeology, Inc. has tried to show their colonial hall-and-parlor cottage two-room interior with loft, solid 12 inch thick brick walls of Flemish or English bond, and large fireplaces built on the exterior walls - is somehow 18th century; features completely out of style compared with the 18th century Georgian style homes shown above.
Records Prove a House was Standing in Before c.1645. There is a 1645 record of a debt owed to Mr. James Smyth for completing the Adam Thoroughgood House for Sarah Thoroughgood using a different brick style, Flemish bond (alternating long and short in the same row) from the three walls completed earlier.  The Lower Norfolk Court Record (Deed Book “B” page 61) states that Sarah Thoroughgood owes Mr. James Smyth’s estate payment for completing that fourth house wall, i.e., “the estate of James Smyth..for covering part of her [Sarah Thoroughgood-Gookin-Yeardley’s] howse…petitioner desires order for the payment of same.”
* "The 2005 Oxford Dendrochronology Laboratory Interim Report," (tree-ring dating). In addition to the 2006 Archaeological Assessment the city focused primarily on the dendrochronology report to add proof to a c.1720 construction date. While this report states, “Several key features suggest that the most plausible date of construction for the house is about 1720,” there is other information in the report to call this conclusion into question which states, “All of the structural timber at the Adam Thoroughgood House was found to be a variety of southern yellow pine, Pinus l. This included the ground floor ceiling beams, the eaves plates, rafters, and collars. All of these timbers, without exception, were perfectly squared, removing all signs of waney edge and sapwood. This would inevitably make the determining of a precise felling date virtually impossible.”
* "The 2006 James River Institute Archaeological Assessment of the Adam Thoroughgood House." On page 54 the report describes how archaeologist Floyd Painter found shreds of historical ceramics of which “less than a handful were the type that was made during the 17th century.” If there was no house here in the 17th century then no 17th century pottery remains should have been found. Without explaining this 17th century find, the report goes on to say, Floyd Painter’s 1965 excavation “failed to produce any evidence of 17th century occupation.” If there was indeed a house there in the 17th century and occupied, then there would be little waste around the yard to find. On page 57 the report concludes “It [the Adam Thoroughgood House] is still one of the earliest surviving brick houses in the region.” This statement only reinforces the report’s lack of thorough investigation of the area since Virginia Governor Wyatt (1588–1644) had ordered in c.1630 all plantation homes sitting on 500 acres or more to be constructed of brick.
* "The Dendrochronology: A Status Report for the Eastern United States,” by Elyse Harvey, Clemson University, 2012, calls into question the Oxford Dendrochronology Laboratory’s dating of the Adam Thoroughgood House. The report says that England has established a set of guidelines that professionals follow when using tree-rings to date buildings, and that “These guidelines present a striking contrast to the United States where no organization has adopted either professional standards or publishing requirements. If there is not a master chronology available for comparison, one must be developed before any building with an unknown construction date can be tested.” The report goes on to state, “Pine does not always produce well-defined rings and dating a structure can be very difficult.” As noted above, the Adam Thoroughgood House was built with southern yellow pine.  http://tigerprints.clemson.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2374&context=all_theses.  
* Stealing Our History. The James River Institute has re-dated numerous structures in the area stealing their early significance, chief among these is St. Luke's Church in Smithfield, Virginia, built in 1632, the nation's oldest brick structure. The James River Institute cited dendrochronological and architectural evidence pointing to a 1680’s date, even though bricks discovered in a roof collapse in 1887 bear the date 1632 and its buttresses, crow step gables and its principal rafter roof were the same as those found in some early 17th-century churches (among other documented evidence). Further, they have reassigned the 1636 Adam Keeling House a 1734 date; the 1690 Lynnhaven House a 1724 date, and the 1649 Weblin House a 1735 date.
Oxford Tree-Ring Laboratory - http://www.dendrochronology.net/va.asp
Report by Mr. Herman John Heikkenen, The late Herman John Heikkenen, an expert dendrochronologist from Virginia Tech, developed the key-year method. He was able to date many of the buildings in Colonial Williamsburg with accuracy using his key-year method. He patented this technique, and during twenty years of research, Heikkenen dated seventy-nine buildings, fifteen of them at Colonial Williamsburg. With these credentials Heikkenen in 1995 reported that the wood from the Adam Thoroughgood House could not be dated after making an extensive investigation of the house. He found no bark, sapwood or wane edges on any of the wood in the house, the only positive way he said wood could be dated when cut from a tree.
See “The Key-Year Dendrochronology Technique and Its Application in Dating Historic Structures in Maryland,” by  H. J. Heikkenen -
http://www.jstor.org/stable/1494004?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents
History of Fires, Termite Damage, Rot, and Renovations. Historians argue that wood sampling is not an accurate method to determine age since massive renovations, building reconfirmation, termite damage, and house additions all used newer wood.  Records show the Adam Thoroughgood House was remodeled in the early part of the 18th century with structural wood being replaced. Further, when the house was acquired by the Adam Thoroughgood House Foundation in 1957, it again was drastically renovated. Then there is the possibility of fire, so prevalent in the 17th century with interior fireplaces used for cooking. For example, there exist two churches that burned down leaving no wood, only a shell of bricks. The Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church Portsmouth burned in 1856, and Old Donation was burned by a woods fire in 1882. That is not the dates assigned to those two churches, but if a dendrochronology survey had been done minus the documentation that both churches were older, then we’d have the same outcome like the Adam Thoroughgood House. The possibility that fire could have damaged the Adam Thoroughgood House was not discussed in the 2006 Archaeological Assessment report. Buildings in Virginia Beach have a history of requiring major renovation, such as beam and roof replacement as documented in the Green Hill Plantation House (see #15 below). Beside fire, wood can require complete replacement in less than 100 years in this humid salty air. For example, the 1820 Princess Anne County Courthouse, one of the oldest buildings in Virginia Beach, is suffering from rot. The first floor is undergoing $200,000 in wood replacement to fix, among other things, mold, water damage and floor settlement.
Brick Carvings. The letters “Adt 39” were cut quaintly on one of the tiles of the chimney wall, and a brick read “1640” until the surface disintegrated about 1912.  This is the only piece of evidence the city takes issue with stating that anyone could have cut these letters in the brick at any time.  As for the other above information, the city has yet to refute it.
* "For One Man, House’s Age Is Much More Than Just A Number," (story of Paul Treanor's effort to correct the date of the Thoroughgood Houseby Marc Davis, The Virginian-Pilot, July 5, 2007. http://www.tarvinfamily.org/thoroughgoodarticle.pdf 
"The Thoroughgood House," 2011by Paul Treanor, a 10th generation Thoroughgood. He disputed the city’s dendrochronology report and requested, but never received from the city, a second expert analysis.  Using land grants and court records he established a 17th century construction date date and traced the Thoroughgood family living in the house through court records and wills. He maintains that Adam Thoroughgood started the house in 1639 but died in 1640 before one wall could be completed which his widowed wife had finished later. For this she contracted Mr. James Smyth (see above - Records Prove a House was Standing in Before c.1645). Records show he used a different brick style for the fourth wall, Flemish bond (alternating long and short in the same row), the exact same patterns of the house now standing.
1647-1655 – Sarah Thoroughgood-Gookin-Yeardley (1609 – 1657) with her husband Francis Yeardley (married 1647 to 1655) and five children. [but according to Florence Kimberly Turner in “Gateway to the New World,” 1984, pages 48 - 52 (see above), she dates occupancy as 1641 when Adam’s widow Sarah and her second husband, John Gookin, moved into the house].
1655 – 1685 - Adam Thoroughgood’s son Lt. Col Adam Thoroughgood II (1638 – 1685), his wife Frances Yeardley Thoroughgood (1643 - 1687), and six children.
Note: Here is where the 2006 Archaeological Assessment runs into trouble. Claiming there was no 1640 house, since Adam 1st house at 4236 Battery Road in Baylake Pines burned in 1650, and since Adam II died in 1685, the report states,  “It appears that Adam II must have lived his adult life in a different dwelling,” but where?
1685-1687 - Frances Yeardley Thoroughgood (1643 - 1687) and his wife (daughter of  Lt. Col Adam Thoroughgood II) and six children.
Note: The 2006 Archaeological Assessment makes no mention of Frances Thoroughgood.
1687-1709 – Treanor has no documentation for this period and assigns it to “unknown.” Court records show that Argall I (1660 – 1700) married Pembroke Fowler in 1680. Moving out of the Adam Thoroughgood House, he built a house for his family on Little Creek.
[The 2006 Archaeological Assessment uses this Little Creek house to prove that, “the presence of a cellar was evidence that Argall Thoughgood I did not live in the extant Thoroughgood House.” [The Adam Thoroughgood House does not have a cellar, but Little Creek house probably did and is no longer in existence].
1709 – 1719 – Argall I’s son Argall II (1687 – 1719), his wife Susannah Sanford (1693 – 1749), and their son John (1713- 1763).
Note: On 15 April, 2017 I petitioned the the Virginia Beach Historic Preservation Commission to fund a second opinion using the mortar analysis method.


(7) 1649 - The Weblin House at 5588 Moore’s Pond Road (3.2 mi west near Lawson Hall) built by John Weblin Jr. when he inherited the land (and possible house) from his father-in-law. The original land grant of 750 acres was to Thomas Lambert in 1648. The Weblin name is from Thomas Lambert’s daughter who married John Weblin. The Weblin House is of the "Virginia Style," dating to the 17th century. Its solid brick walls are 12 inches thick, creating wide sills in the interior. The masonry is Flemish bond and its massive chimney is English bond. Big chimneys were typical of the period because settlers cooked inside and hadn't yet moved cooking to exterior buildings. The original steep gable roof was changed to a gambrel roof in the early 19th century as noted by the 60 degree old roof line on the chimney side. The house is currently owned by the Petersen family.
Virginia Beach, Then and Now,” by Amy Hayes Castleberry, 2010, page 18
http://hamptonroads.com/2009/11/weblin-house-one-many-homes-tour-season
http://www.carolshouse.com/structures/weblinhouse


First picture of Rolleston is the right front corner 
in the second picture with the porch barely visible.

(8) 1650 - Rolleston (no longer in existence) at 443 Kempsville Rd, Norfolk, VA.        (5 miles west). The Chapel at Barry Robinson now occupies part of the tract of Rolleston Hill. It was located on the edge of what would eventually be called Newtown, situated on the northeast corner of the I-64 and I-264 interchange just east of Woodlawn Memorial Gardens. William Moseley I (1601-1655) built this sprawling Dutch- roofed house, Greenwich Plantation, later called Rolleston Plantation by his descendants. In 1649 he came to Virginia from Rotterdam, Holland with his wife Suzanna, two sons, William II and Arthur, and a large quantity of family jewels. As a Cavalier opposed to Oliver Cromwell, the jewels were all he was able to get out of England when he fled to Holland. Trading jewels, primarily to Adam Thoroughgood’s widow Sarah Thoroughgood-Gookin-Yeardley (1609 – 1657), in exchange for livestock, William I slowly gained prominence. William II’s  Great-Great-Grand son Col. Edward Hack (1740- 1811) was so prominent at Old Donation that in 1767 he had a private Great Pew built where the pulpit stands today causing the side door to be moved about eight feet from the end of the long north wall to its present location.  During the Revolutionary War he continued to be loyal to England. He is buried in the Old Donation Cemetery along with Betty Thorougood (1747-1808), William II’s  Great-Great-Great Grand daughter. Virginia Beach, Then and Now,” by Amy Hayes Castleberry, 2010, page 41.



(9) 1673 – Lawson Hall (no longer in existence) at 5525 Lawson Hall Rd Virginia Beach, VA (3.7 mi west near Weblin House) was built by Anthony Lawson (1650-1701). He came to VA from London and was given a 490 acre estate in 1673 as headrights for providing passage to indentured servants to work his estate.  Lawson practiced law and was justice of Princess Anne Country. His second wife was Mary Gookin, daughter of Colonel John Gookin and Sarah Thoroughgood-Gookin-Yeardley (1609 – 1657) widow of Adam Thoroughgood. When Anthony Lawson died, Mary married William Moseley II (1635-1700). Their son Edward Moseley (1661-1736) was a member of the court that tried Grace Sherwood and Edward Moseley’s great grandson Col. Edward Hack Moseley (1740-1811) is buried in our cemetery.
There is no record of his house, only the house built by his grandson Col. Anthony Lawson (1729-1785). Like his grandfather, Anthony Lawson practiced law and was a justice of Princess Anne County and lieutenant-colonel of the Princess Anne militia. He was captured by the British and sent to East Florida. His house burned down in the early 20th century and was rebuilt on its original footprint, i.e., the house standing today known as Lawson Hall.
Virginia Beach, Then and Now,” by Amy Hayes Castleberry, 2010, page 17



(9a) *1692 - Lynnhaven Parish Church No 2  (no longer in existence - situated where the Old Donation Parish Hall Library stands today). A self-guided tour is available. Please check in the church office. Tides and severe storms pouring in through the open channel near Lynnhaven Parish Church No. 1 at Church Point caused the lands around the church to erode. The new location (no. 2 above) was four miles up the West Branch of the Lynnhaven River at the end of Cattayle Br (now called Cattail Creek). Called the "Brick Church," it served members from 1692 to 1736 when today's church#3 was completed.



(9b) 1681 - The James and Grace Sherwood House (no longer in existence), at Muddy Creek near the intersection of Pungo Ferry Road and Princess Anne Road (21.3 mi south). The house stood for over 300 years until it burned down in the 1990s. The property is now owned by the Federal Government as part of Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge.
Grace Sherwood’s father John White gave the Sherwood’s 50 acres of farm land when James Sherwood (1660 – 1701) married 20 year old Grace White (1660 – 1740) in April 1680 in the first Lynnhaven Parish Church at Church Point. On his death in 1681 John White left them the remainder of his 145 acres farm. The Sherwood’s had three sons - John, James, and Richard, and one daughter – Elizabeth (1675 – 1725), the oldest.  In addition to farming, Grace Sherwood grew her own herbs, which she used to heal both people and animals. She also acted as a midwife. When James died in 1701, Grace inherited his property. This early death of James left Grace without his protection, ultimately resulting in a witch trial at Lynnhaven Parish Church No 2 (see above), ducking at Witch Duck Bay in the West Lynnhaven River and jail where today’s church (church no.3) now stands.
After release Grace gathered her three sons, paid back taxes on the farm, and lived peacefully for the rest of her life. She never remarried. Grace lies in an unmarked grave under some trees in a field on her farm. James was buried in the Old Donation Cemetery, his tombstone (now lost). A plaque at the entrance to the cemetery replaces his tombstone.
Three hundred years later on July 10, 2006, the 300th anniversary of Sherwood's conviction as a witch, Governor Tim Kaine restored her good name, recognizing that her case was a miscarriage of justice. A statue depicting her was erected near Sentara Bayside Hospital on Independence Boulevard in Virginia Beach, and Virginia Beach Mayor Meyera E. Oberndorf declared July 10th Grace Sherwood Day. Not until eight years later on July 10th 2014 did Old Donation Church officially recognize the wrong done to poor Grace by blessing of a stone honoring Grace, a stone placed in the church herb garden, fitting for one who used her herbs to heal the sick.

(10) 1720 - Fairfields Manor

Present day location where Fairfields Manor once stood
5298 W Valleyside Ct
(just north of the Fairfield Shopping Center and 20 miles east up the Elizabeth River)

Walke Graveyard near the site of the old Fairfields Manor House

Graves of Colonel Anthony Walke I - (1692 - 1768) in the foreground and David M. Walke –  (1800 – 1854) in the  background in the  Both were moved to the Old Donation Cemetery in the 1930’s by Ann Talbot Parks and the Princess Anne Garden Club after finding the Walke Cemetery enclosure in a hog pen where the hogs were systematically destroying the markers. To the right side is what may have been a servant's quarter, guard house, or else built sometime after 1865. The treeline in the background is where the tail end of the Elizabeth River was and still is (draining from right to left). This is one fork of the river, the other being a little further to the north and closer to Princess Anne Rd. The area in between these two water ways is most likely where the Fairfields Manor house was located. From undocumented sources, the manor house was said to be fronting Princess Anne Rd and since this road is one of the oldest in the area, that seems reasonable putting the manor house just north of Fairfields Blvd.

Fairfields Manor (no longer in existence and picture/sketch not available) was to the north of 643 E Fox Grove Ct, Virginia Beach, VA 23464 (just north of Fairfield Shopping Center) (4.8 miles south).

Colonel Thomas Walke I (1642 – 1694) was an immigrant from British-ruled Barbados. He  married Mary Lawson in 1690, also an emigrate from Barbados. Thomas died only four years after his marriage, leaving three children, Thomas II or Jr. (1691-1723), Anthony I (1692- 1768), and Mary.  Thomas held colonial distinction and was commissioned a colonel by the Governor of Virginia. He made his fortune shipping goods to Barbados from Hampton Roads and slaves back to Hampton Roads from Barbados. Four years after his death, his executors in 1697 purchased land for the construction of a home for Walke’s children. Fairfields Manor House was built sometime after the land was purchased and but most likely about 1720 when Thomas Walke III (1720 – 1761), the first son of Thomas Walke II, was born. He would be the first Walke to leave Fairfields Manor House and build Upper Wolfsnare House  between 1759 and 1762. We assume he was raised at Fairfields putting the date c.1720.

Fairfields was a grand house with dozens of black slaves, blacksmiths, wagon-makers, saddlers, and tradesmen imported from England. Fairfields belonged to five generations of Walkes until it was destroyed by fire March 1865.

In 1853 Mr. Forrest describes the style of architecture of the Fairfields Manor House (1698 – 1865). “This  Dutch  roof  relic  of  antiquity is …resisting  still the  effects  of  time.  The walls are more than four feet thick for some distance above  the  ground. The interior walls and ceilings are heavily wainscotted with black walnut, the passage is exceedingly spacious, and  there are other  architectural  curiosities  about  it  which  form  a striking contrast to the present style of building.”

In 1887 from  "Private Record of The Walke Family in the United States; Brief Records and Recollections of The Walke  Family and  Relations  in  the  United States"  by Henry Walke, Rear Admiral, U.S.N., “Fairfields was an ‘almost baronial establishment’ with  liveried  black servants, blacksmiths, wagon-makers, saddlers, and tradesmen imported from England.  Fairfields Manor house was destroyed by fire more than 100 years ago, but the name is perpetuated by a planned residential community developed on the site.”

"Old Fairfields House to Be Demolished," by Helen Crist, “Fairfields itself  came to a tragic end one windy March day, perhaps in 1865, when it burned  to  the  ground  as  a spark from the chimney ignited the roof.

Virginia Beach, Then and Now,” by Amy Hayes Castleberry, 2010, page 49
Gleanings on Walke Family Homes,” by Calvert Walke Tazewell, 1988 http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ferry/walkehou.txt 



(11) 1690 - The Hermitage at 4200 Hermitage Road (2.2 mi N near Adam Thoroughgood House) built in 1690 by  either John Thoroughgood or Adam III (as claimed by Louisa Venable Kyle) on Adam Thoroughgood’s 5,350 acre Grand Patent and sits south-southwest across the Thoroughgood inlet and Lake Charles from the Adam Thoroughgood House. This is a charming one-and-a-half-story farmhouse constructed in three stages from 1690 to 1940. The original 1690 house is on the left, a traditional hall-and-parlor seventeenth century cottage consisting of two rooms downstairs and a room under the roof upstairs. 

Whether it was in this house or the Adam Thoroughgood House, a descendant of the first Adam Thoroughgood, was an officer in George Washington’s army. While he was off fighting, the British overran the Thoroughgood plantation and commandeered it for a British headquarters. The British told Thoroughgood’s wife, Sarah, that they would provide her husband a “parole of honor” if he would return home from the battle. In the tradition of Thoroughgood wives, Sarah replied with rebellious indignation, “I would rather see him dead.” 

The current owners are John and Marianne Litel. 

Virginia Beach, Then and Now,” by Amy Hayes Castleberry, 2010, page 14 http://hamptonroads.com/2008/03/hermitage-house-%E2%80%93-other-one-%E2%80%93-makes-historic-list
"The Hermitage, Another Thoroughgood House, Is One of the Most Attractive Colonial Homes," The Virginian Pilot, Mar 27, 1955



(12) *1690 - The Lynnhaven House at 4405 Wishart Road (1 mi north) (once called the Boush House and before that the Wishart House and before that the Thelaball House) was most likely built by Francis Thelaball in the latter half of the seventeenth century (c.1690) on land sold by Adam Thorowgood to William Richerson in 1653 who, in turn, sold the property to James Wishart in 1673.  The property remained in the hands of the Wishart family until 1795. During the time the Wishart’s owned the house, Francis and his family lived there a short time from 1725 until 1727 when Francis died.  Thomas Wishart and his wife, Porcia, sold the house to William Boush whose family lived there for several generations. William W. Oliver Sr. bought the house in 1923 and used it for a tenant house. The family of William Oliver gave the house to the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiques in July of 1971. For many years, the house was referred to as the Wishart House or the Boush House. This is one of the last (if not the last) colonial two room hall-and-parlor houses remaining in Virginia, a fine example of a seventeenth century house before much larger homes were constructed in the prosperous eighteenth century Golden Age.
Francis Thelaball was a ship’s carpenter and master craftsman. Being at the low end of the Lynnhaven social scale, he established his status among his fellow Lynnhaven Parish church members with his talents as a master carpenter and perhaps by building the 32’6” by 21’2” Lynnhaven House, a showplace vernacular house (architecture not from formally-schooled architects, but by relying on the design skills and tradition of local builders). The house is rich in quality and features. The exteriors has a steep gable roof; a massive T-shaped chimneys with steep tiled splays and belt courses; and English bond brickwork (two alternating courses of stretchers and headers) with brick jack arches over the windows, brick corbels at either end of the eaves, glazed headers on the gable end following the rake of the roof, and segmental arched entranceways. The two-room interior features a closed-string staircase with teardrop pendants (a decorative finishing touch) and a ship's lap floor. There are two large mantels, the north one retaining its distinctive bolection moldings. The center wall has wide horizontal boards, now covered by layers of paint and wallpaper.

Behind the Historic House Lies the Bousch Cemetery.
1st - Maxmillian Boush (1625 - ?) and Sarah Woodhouse, married 1650.
2nd - Maxmillian Boush II (1666 – 1728) and Mary Bennett (1670 – 1735), married 1702. Children Samuel and Maximillian.
3rd - Maxmillian Boush, Jr.,  (1702 - ?) buried in the Bush graveyard and Elizabeth Wilson who later married Thomas Thelaball, son of Francis Thelaball. Frances built the Lynnhaven House.
4th - Frederick Boush (1731 - Oct 1806) and Elizabeth Hunter
5th - William Boush (1759 – 1834) and Mary (1764-1822) buried in the Bush graveyard.
6th – William Frederick Boush (1793 – 19 Dec, 1818) buried in the Bush graveyard

The most famous is Maxmillian Boush II. In 1702 he married Mary Bennett (1670 – 1735). Mary had been married twice before, her second husband being Rev. Jonathan Saunders who was Rector of Lynnhaven Parish from 1695 – 1700 and whose grandson Captain John Saunders I (1726 – 1765) built Pembroke Manor in 1764. In 1706 Boush II was the prosecuting attorney against Grace Sherwood, and in 1711 he gave a silver paten (a small plate used to hold Eucharistic bread) which bears his coat of arms to Lynnhaven Parish Church. He was Queen's counsel for the counties of Princess Anne, Norfolk, and Nansemond and lieutenant colonel of the militia in the reign of Queen Anne, and King's council for Princess Anne and Norfolk counties in the reign of King George the First. From 1710 to 1727, he represented Princess Anne County in the House of Burgesses. 
"Wishart-Boush House" – Renamed The Lynnhaven House, Dec 1968, United States Department of the Interior, National Park Service, National Register of Historic Places,
"Old Houses in Princess Anne," Sadie Scott Kellam and Hope Kellam 1958


(13) *1732 - The Francis Land House at 3131 Virginia Beach Boulevard (4.9 miles southeast) built in 1732 by Francis land III who died in 1736. A brick in the cellar has the date 1732 inscribed on its surface, therefore this is the most likely date of construction, not 1805 as maintained by the city. This dating may be to the fact that the earlier house burned and a house of the same size was built on the original foundation as seen by the much paler and more irregular foundation bricks.  The Georgian style home has exterior walls of double depth Flemish bond brickwork and heart-of-pine floors. The Land family is one of the several notable families important to Lynnhaven Parish and to local government. Francis Land II (1604 - February 15, 1657) arrived in the area about 1638 and, along with Thomas Walk, brought slaves to work the lucrative tobacco fields. By 1657 Francis Land had acquired 1,020 acres of land adjacent to Thomas Keeling’s estate. He used flat bottom canoes to transport goods from Pine Tree Branch to the Chesapeake Bay via the Lynnhaven River. On 26 May 1647 Francis was nominated by the Court to serve as Churchwarden for Lynnhaven Parish Church. Francis Land II’s children carried the name Frances right up through Francis Moseley Land VI  (around 1780 – 1819). By the mid-18th century the plantation had around 20 slaves, typical for the tobacco plantations in the area. The Francis Land house standing today has the City of Virginia Beach placing its construction around 1805 which means Francis Moseley Land VI built it, but his descendants before him lived on the same estate and had houses in the same relative location. As is the case with the Adam Keeling and Adam Thoroughgood houses, the house standing today most likely dates back much earlier.  Extensive alterations and modifications were made along the way to mask its true original construction date and style, and because of the termite problem, the original wood was probably replaced long ago. Francis Moseley Land VI and his family lived there until 1819 when he died. He and his wife had two daughters who held onto the land until about 1850 when it was sold outside their family. The City of Virginia Beach purchased the house and land in 1975 and in 1986 started operating it as a historic house museum. The manicured grounds include herb, vegetable, flax, formal, and "pleasure" gardens, as well as a history park which includes a constructed one-tenth mile nature trail in a wooded wetland with interpretive sign exhibits.
Virginia Beach, Then and Now,” by Amy Hayes Castleberry, 2010, page 52
http://1bob9.blogspot.com/2009/06/old-donation-history.html http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Land_House



(14) 1734 - The Carraway House at 317 South Witchduck Road (3.4 miles south) was built by James Carraway in 1734. Members of the Carraway family occupied the house for over 200 yrs.  Virginia Beach, Then and Now,” by Amy Hayes Castleberry, 2010, page 51.  http://genforum.genealogy.com/carraway/messages/509.html http://hamptonroads.com/2009/11/virginia-beachs-carraway-house-sale



(15) Circa 1730 - Green Hill Plantation at 1721 Lovetts Pond Lane (8.8 miles east). The first Thomas Lovett came to Lynnhaven Parish in 1663, and documents show that as "under sheriff" Thomas presented the Court with names of  Quakers who had been at a meeting contrary to the law, which  forbade the assembly of Quakers. About 1714, John Lovett acquired the property, then 250 acres.   Green Hill Plantation, was built by Lancaster Lovett prior to 1738.  John Lovett belonged to one of several prominent founding families of early Princess Anne County. Various member of the Lovett family married into the Kempe, Keeling, Pallet, and Thorowgood families, and were generally active in the leadership of the local community.  Thomas Lovett willed the house to his eldest son Thomas, and the remainder of the estate to his sons Randolph and Reuben. Evidently, there was some sort of family quarrel over the division of the property and Reuben changed the spelling of his name to "Lovitt."
The Lovett family retained ownership of the property until 1831 when the property passed to the Keeling family. The estate then passed through several more families before being acquired by Margarette Hanes Old (of the Hanes clothing company) and her husband W.T. Old. The Olds oversaw the addition of the two wings to the house in 1954 along with a complete restoration overseen by prominent regional architect Finlay Forbes Ferguson, Jr. Ferguson , a participant in the Colonial Williamsburg’s restoration from 1931-43.
Green Hill Plantation  is a relatively rare surviving example of an eighteenth century Georgian/Federal Lynnhaven Parish style home, and is a good example of the evolution of the once ubiquitous regional early American hall-and-parlor house representing its uninterrupted role as one of the most important dwellings in old Virginia Beach.
Different owners have enlarged and improved the house, making it a magnificent with its beautiful setting overlooking Broad Bay.  This Georgian House originally consisted of four rooms, two up and two down, each off a central hallway, and a large cellar. The rooms on both the first and second floors have high ceilings, decorative cornices, deeply recessed windows, and attractive mantels. Both of the halls and the upper part of the stairway have been altered. The brick wall around the chimney has also been redone. A whole new structure of rafters was installed to support a new gable roof, thus altering the pitch of the roof.  Near the roof line on each side of the chimney, under both gables, are  little round windows which are not usually found in Georgian style homes. Yet all of these changes and additions have been carefully done to retain the flavor and charm of this two story house with double chimneys on the west side and one chimney on the east.  

"National Register of Historic Places Registration Form,  Green Hill, 1721 Lovetts Pond Lane, Va Beach,http://www.dhr.virginia.gov/registers/Cities/VirginiaBeach/134-0015_GreenHill_2012_NRHP_revised%20draft.pdf
Virginia Beach, Then and Now,” by Amy Hayes Castleberry, 2010, page 29 and 30. http://www.dhr.virginia.gov/registers/Cities/VirginiaBeach/134-0015_GreenHill_2012_NRHP_revised%20draft.pdf




(15a) 1637 – The John Lovett House.  About 20 yards from the Green Hill Plantation House, closer to Lovetts Pond, sits this small brick cottage. It is a two room hall-and-parlor cottage with a loft area above, two unusual outsidefront doors, solid 12 inch thick English brick walls, and two substantial brick chimneys on each end.  The house built by John Stratton circa 1637 is similar to the 1640 Adam Thoroughgood House, the 1636 Adam Keeling House, the 1634 Broad Bay Manor, the 1649 Weblin House, and the 1690 Lynnhaven House, all built before transitioning to the 18th century Georgian architecture. The house is located on a 700 acre 1636 land grant given to Henry Southell along the south shore of present Long Creek and Broad Bay. Long Creek was then known as "Stratton's Creek." A city map dated 1919 shows Stratton's Creek running from the Lynnhaven River all the way to the Atlantic Ocean. The Southell's, along with the well known early Princess Anne families of  Thorowgood, Keeling, and Capps, were all established in Lynnhaven Parish within a few years of each other. The Green Hill property passed through several families during the seventeenth century before ending with Robert Bond in 1698-99, his share being reduced to a mere 95 acres.
On March 6th, 2016 at Old Donation Church the Princess Anne County/Virginia Beach Historical Society hosted the Archeological Society of Virginia Nansemond Chapter.  Bert Wendell, Jr. Past President of the Nansemond Chapter gave a talk describing excavations for artifacts in areas around Green Hill Farm and along Broad Bay.  He also provided facts about the John Lovett House located next to the Green Hill Plantation house. He cited a reference from a Virginia Cultural Resources Information System (V-CRIS) site form for Green Hill Plantation titled "2014 Archaeological Testing Research Design" by Dr. Mike Barber, Ph.D., Virginia State Archaeologist. The document stated that the John Lovett House was once used as a kitchen and was  built circa 1637. 
"National Register of Historic Places Registration Form,  Green Hill, 1721 Lovetts Pond Lane, Va Beach,http://www.dhr.virginia.gov/registers/Cities/VirginiaBeach/134-0015_GreenHill_2012_NRHP_revised%20draft.pdf
“Bricks and Mortar: What's Left In Old Princess Anne County and New Virginia Beach," edited and copyrighted in 1993 by C.W. Tazewell.


(16) 1752 -  John Biddle House on Kings Grant Road built in 1752 for John Biddle (6.4 miles east). One of his descendants, William Etheridge Biddle (1856-1915) is honored on a wall memorial plaque in the church for working with the Reverend Alfriend during the restoration period (1912-1915). William Biddle is buried in our historic cemetery. “Virginia Beach, Then and Now,” by Amy Hayes Castleberry, 2010, page 23 
http://cdm16450.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15419coll8/id/84/rec/15


(17) *1759 - The Upper Wolfsnare House  (first called the Brick House) at 2040 Potters Road (8.5 miles east) was built between 1759 and 1762 by Thomas Walke III (1720 – 1761) the first son of Thomas Walke II and the first Walke to leave Fairfields Manor House and build on large land holdings acquired by the Walkes.  Of the three noted Walke historic homes (Fairfields Manor and Ferry Plantation), only Upper Wolfsnare stands today. His son Col. Thomas Walke IV (1760-1797) (born shortly before his father's death) inherited the house. Thomas Walke IV and Reverend Anthony Walke (1755 - 1814) were chosen to represent Princess Anne County at the 1788 Virginia Constitutional Convention. Their lineage goes back to the first Walke to settle in Virginia, Colonel Thomas Walke I (1642 – 1694) an immigrant from British-ruled Barbados, Rev. Walke’s great-grandfather and Thomas’s grandfather (see http://1bob9.blogspot.com/2009/06/cemetery-old-section.html).  Read the story of how they, along with James Madison, helped to save the Constitution - “The Golden Age of Lynnhaven Parish Church” @ http://1bob9.blogspot.com/2009/06/the-golden-age-of-lynnhaven-parish.html
Picture from “Virginia Beach, Then and Now,” by Amy Hayes Castleberry, 2010, page 54



(18) 1694 & 1764 - Pembroke Manor House on Constitution Drive (just off Independence Blvd) (1.1 mile south). The house was built on acreage given by the King of England to Rev. Jonathan Saunders in 1694. Saunders provided religious leadership for the growing Lynnhaven Parish Church from 1695 to 1700. Much later, the manor house (as pictured above) was built by slave labor in 1764 by grandson Captain Jonathan Saunders I (1726 – 1765), the father of Captain John Saunders II (1754 - 1834).  The original property was 800 acres which included the land where Town Center was developed.  As a result of his choosing to side with the British, in 1779 Captain Saunders II was called before the Princess Anne County Safety Committee, declared a British subject, and had Pembroke Manor confiscated. The grave of Captain John Saunders I was moved from Pembroke Manor without remains to the Old Donation Cemetery and is the oldest grave site in our cemetery. “Virginia Beach, Then and Now,” by Amy Hayes Castleberry, 2010, page 22 



(19) 1764 - Poplar Hall on Broad Creek at the intersection of Poplar Hall Drive and Stuart Circle, Norfolk (6.4 miles west), built by Captain Thurmer Hoggard (1728 - 1779) in 1764 and home of his great-grandson Thurmer Hoggard IV (1819-1902) who came to save the burned-out Old Donation Church in 1882. Thurmer Hoggard IV was an influential citizen who had a shipbuilding business on Broad Creek, believed to be the first navy yard in America. He worshiped at Old Donation until services ended around 1844 and then switched to Emmanuel Episcopal Church in Kempsville. In 1882 he came to rescue the burned out Old Donation Church by holding annual pilgrimages to the open shell of Old Donation so the county could not take possession of the land. He was the only living Episcopalian who had worshipped at Old Donation before it burned.  After Hoggard’s death in 1902 his son, Captain Thurmer Harding Hoggard V, a Confederate veteran, and two daughters Mary and Fannie Hoggard continued annual services at Old Donation. Thurmer Hoggard not only saved the church but also the vestry records which he handed to Judge White, who in turn handed them to the Richmond Court House. They were later edited and published by George Carrington Mason in 1949. Malcolm Higgins located these two vestry books (1723 – 1911) in the Library of Virginia (the official Commonwealth of Virginia depository) in Richmond and had the records photocopied. In a cavity within the cornerstone of Donation Church, there is a time capsule, placed there in 1916, containing short sketches prepared by Thurmer. What is said on these documents remains unknown although  some of his writings and poetry are maintained in the Old Donation Historical Library. “Virginia Beach, Then and Now,” by Amy Hayes Castleberry, 2010, page 39.



(19a) 1791 - The Taylor -Whittle House at 227 W. Freemason St. was built in 1791 by James Taylor and John Cowper on the land acquired from George Purdie. The house is famous for notable Taylor owners and their relatives who lived there. English immigrant Richard Taylor (1771-1827) and early member of Lynnhaven Parish Church  purchased the house in 1803. His famous grandson lived there. He was Lieutenant Colonel Walter Herron Taylor (1838 – 1916), an aide to General Robert E. Lee during the American Civil War and later Senator in the Virginia General Assembly. Other notable residents included Captain Richard Lucien Page who accompanied Commodore Perry on his historic voyage to open up trade with Japan in 1854. It was the birthplace of and resident William Conway Whittle who was executive officer and navigator of the Confederate blockade runner CSS Shenandoah, the last major Confederate cruiser to set sail.  It remained in the ownership of Taylor descendants being passed down via the Taylor female line until 1972 when it was donated to the city and immediately placed on the National Register of Historic Places to preserve it, but in 2011 the 5,000 square-foot house was deemed uninhabitable in need of $2 million in repairs and renovations.  The city currently is in the process of reviewing requests to save the house since it stands as one of very few pre-1800 buildings not burned down by the British during the War of 1812.

Richard Taylor, Old Donation Church member writes on Nov 6, 2015, “My Ancestor James Taylor I arrived here in Tidewater in 1635.  He worshiped at Lynnhaven Parish prior to moving up country to Orange VA area.  He died in 1698. His son, James II built Bloomsbury in 1722 (see Knights of The Golden Horseshoe).  The James Taylor who built Taylor-Whittle House in 1791 is a cousin of my James Taylor.  James Taylor (4), my ancestor, Co-owned Taylor-Whittle House with John Cowper  (pronounced Cooper) until sold to Richard Taylor in 1803.  To be precise, 15 December 1802 for $9400. The Taylor-Whittle James was born over 100 years later.  Taylor-Whittle James and wife Sarah were Episcopal.  Walter Taylor, R.E. Lee's Chief of Staff, was born in Taylor-Whittle House.  Dr. Taylor is related to the Taylor-Whittle gang, who was an early worshiper. 
*Nonprofit Wants To Help Restore 18th-Century Norfolk House http://hamptonroads.com/2014/07/nonprofit-wants-help-restore-18thcentury-norfolk-house
by Lia Russell -The Virginian-Pilot © July 6, 2014           
*The Taylor-Whittle House http://www.twhouse.org/TWHouse/Home.html
*Taylor-Whittle House Marker http://www.historicalmarkerproject.com/markers/HMWII_taylor-whittle-house-1791_Norfolk-VA.html


19b - 1793 - Whitehurst-Buffington House designated as one of the 50 most historically significant structures in Virginia Beach was built in 1793.  A year after the first lighthouse was built at Cape Henry the Whitehurst family built their farmhouse. The original house included one room downstairs and a sleeping loft upstairs. The gambrel roof in front and the long sloping roof in the back are indicative of the “saltbox” design that was popular during the early Federal period. Two large chimneys bracket the house on either end. The family enlarged the house over time. In 1820, Daniel Whitehurst, appointed as a Commissioner, authorized the building of a new courthouse and jail on property near his farm. Today, the Virginia Beach Courthouse sits across the street from the Whitehurst-Buffington House.  The Whitehurst Farm was also home to James Howard Whitehurst, who entered the Virginia Military Institute as a cadet in 1860. In 1862, he joined the 16th Virginia Regiment of the Confederate Army. He was wounded at Malvern Hill in May 1862, recovered, and returned to active duty until he was wounded a second time at Spotsylvania in 1864. He was subsequently captured in April 1865. His tombstone remains on the property.  In 1940, the Whitehurst family sold the farm to George W. Bratten, who replaced the clapboard siding with brick and added the kitchen. In 1953, the Bratten family sold the farm to James (Jay) W. Buffington, who maintained the property until 1986.
Mrs. Webster Whitehurst, Mamie Whitehurst, and Samuel Whitehurst were among the 46 members of the re-built Old Donation Episcopal Church in 1916. “Whitehurst” was a family Alice Granbery Walter (1909 – 2003) traced which is on file in the Sargeant Memorial Collection at the Norfolk Slover Library.
Buffington House” - http://www.wbhouse.org/history
Virginia Beach on Quest to Save 1793 Farmhouse,” the Virginian Pilot, Jul 6, 2010 http://pilotonline.com/news/virginia-beach-on-quest-to-save-farmhouse/article_84474146-2caf-5ab9-bfea-fa8047a31b09.html


Walke Manor House (1st Ferry Plantation House) built in 1782, destroyed by fire in 1828.

(20) The Walke Manor House Becomes the Ferry Farm House (renamed Ferry Plantation)
 1500’s - The land on which the Ferry Plantation House now sits (at today’s 4136 Cheswick Lane) was initially cleared by local Indians in the 16th century.  Many of their artifacts have been found on the site.
1638 - The land was given the name Ferry Farm when Adam Thoroughgood (1604-1640) started a ferry service. A skiff  traveled up and down the Lynnhaven River to eleven locations, one being a stop at Ferry Farm where no house stood, just a dirt road.  Saville Gaskin, the ferry operator, was summoned by cannon fire. The ferry carried everything from goods to people and animals.
1719 - The property has deed citations dating from 1719.  Its owners bore family names tied to local history over the next two and a half centuries: Smythe, Walke, Martin, Dye, Hudgins and Howren.
1735 - The third Princess Anne County courthouse, the first brick courthouse in the county, was built in 1735 on this site, complete with stocks and pillory and was in existence until 1782 when the Walke Mansion was built.
1782 - The 1st Ferry Farm House (Walke Manor House) was built by William Walke (1762-1795) in 1782 for his half brother Reverend Anthony Walke (1755 – 1814), the famous Lynnhaven Parish preacher who divided his time between preaching and the hunt.  William was the great-grandson of Colonel Thomas Walke I (1642 – 1694) the first Walke to move into the area as an immigrant from British-ruled Barbados. Also living in the Walke Manor House were some of William's children to include Elizabeth Mason Walke (1784-1855).   The first “Walke house - Fairfields” was built about 1720, twenty-five years after Colonel Thomas Walke I died, by his son Thomas Walke II (1691 – 1723). The second “Walke house,” Upper Wolfsnare was built around 1760 by Thomas Walke III (1720 – 1761) the first Walke to leave the Fairfields Manor House.  The third “Walke house,” Walke Manor was the largest of the three and constructed in a more modern English style than Fairfields Manor. It was the largest house in the area until it burned down in 1828. Today only Upper Wolfsnare stands.
George McIntosh's Summerville, built in 1751 & 
lasting into the early 1900's when the last owner died in 1905.

1800 - Sixteen year old Elizabeth Walke moved out of the Walke Manor House to marry thirty-two year old George F. McIntosh (1768-1863) who lived just on the other side of the river at Thalia’s Summerville, a large manor house requiring sixteen slaves to work the plantation.

Built in 1736, it was the scene of the "Wedding of the Century" in 1800 between 
George McIntosh & Elizabeth Walke.
Abandoned for service in  1856 - partially destroyed by fire in 1882 - rebuilt in 1916. 

Their wedding was a most grand affair at the small Lynnhaven Parish Church with days of celebration at the Walke Manner House.  During their courtship, George McIntosh and Elizabeth Walke mingled at eloquent soirees taking week-long excursions to Cape Henry bay-shore, having sent servants ahead with tents, furniture and refreshments; all hosted by their respective plantations. 
1828 - After Rev. Walke died, David Meade Walke (1800 – 1854), the 6th child of Rev Walke, used the Walke Manor House for gambling parties. At one of them, in 1828, a drunken guest tipped over an oil lamp and burned the plantation to the ground.
2nd Ferry Plantation House - built in 1830 and still standing

1830 - George McIntosh then purchased the land and had slaves build the Ferry Farm House (the house that stands today) in 1830. It was a smaller house than the grand Walke Manor House.  The house had 10 rooms with heart-of-pine flooring and several original features. The rear of the home faced the western branch of the Lynnhaven River, and the southeast wing of the house was joined to an early kitchen out building. The exterior was originally covered with oyster stucco that was removed in the late 1980s when the masonry was re-pointed.  The southeast wing predated the main portion which was part of the old Walke Manor House. George gave the home to one of his five sons, 17 year old Captain Charles Fleming McIntosh (1813-1862), USN and CSN.   
1850 - The northwest frame wing was added to expand the home to include a parlor on the first floor and a bedroom on the second floor.   
1896 - Charles Mitchell Barnett (1869 - 1940) and his wife purchased Ferry Farm in 1896.  Barnett was in the shipping and oyster business and shipped the famous Lynnhaven Oysters all over, including to New York’s Waldorf Astoria Hotel and Grand Central Station. Though his New York connection, Old Donation Church was able to obtain a $7,000 loan from a New York bank for the reconstruction of the burned-out church.


1909 - One of many Oyster Roasts held by Charles and Stella Barnett at their Ferry Farm Plantation Home facing the Lynnhaven River.

Barnett and his wife Stella Barnett held oyster roasts for church members at their home on tables set up near the Lynnhaven River. In 1900 Chrales constructed a new landside porch, the first alteration to the house since 1850.  In Oct 1912 his wife Stella died from toadstool poisoning.  He lived on in the house until his death adding modem conveniences such as plumbing and electricity in the 1930s .
1950’s - Sometime in the 1950’s the house was sold to James Carey Hudgins (1878 – 1965) who reconstructed both porches. His daughter, Ethel Virginia Hudgin Howren (1905 – 1983) lived in it until a few years before she died in 1983. After her death, her son James Howren in 1986 sold it and the rest of his mother's 33-acre estate to two developers for about $3.5 million.   He stipulated in the sale that the Ferry House not be demolished or used as a dwelling.  The sale was prompted by changes in the federal tax law for residential zoning development.  Preservation of the house was the topic of debate when developers sought City Council's approval for the Old Donation Farm subdivision. The council made, as a condition of the development, that the Ferry Farm House be under a long-term use and maintenance plan and that four acres of open space around the house be declared a city historical and cultural district.  In 1989 homes encircling the Ferry Plantation House on Cheswick Lane began popping up.
1994 – The house last traded owners in 1994, when it was purchased by investors who tried to sell it a year later, but the deal fell through when in the Virginia Beach City Council brought up the 1986 deed restrictions stating the Ferry Farm House could not be used as a private residence. The investors, known as Hickory Properties, agreed to deed house to the city in exchange for two lots. With a clear title, the city turned the house over to the Friends of the Ferry Plantation House Inc. in June 1996 who began renovating the house in partnership with the city.  The Friends had organized when a group of people interested in Virginia Beach history became alarmed about the perilous legal state of Ferry Farm House. In the past, the house had been known as “Ferry Farm,” but Friends chose to use the name “Ferry Plantation” to distinguish it from another historic Ferry Farm that was George Washington’s birthplace.  The Friends membership included Councilwoman Henley, Jo Howren, and Robert Little, all interested in preservation of the house and grounds. The Friends coordinated the restoration, operation, maintenance, and expenditures.
2016 - Mrs. Belinda Nash (October 27, 1946 - February 16, 2016), the leading house docent for many years was the heart and soul of the house.

The Ferry Plantation House is open for tours Tuesdays, Thursdays & Saturdays 10 am – 2 pm. 
The Rescue and Preservation of Ferry,” 1996
 “Farm Land Gives Way To Luxury Dwellings,”" Virginian Pilot  Jun 18, 1988 p. D1 "
Gleanings on Walke Family Homes,” by Calvert Walke Tazewell, 1988
 “Ferry Plantation House,” U.S. Department of the Interior, National Register of Historic Places,
           Section 8, Page 6 –
The  History of  Eastern  Shore  Chapel,” p. 16, by Louisa Kyle
Farm Land Gives Way To Luxury Dwellings" Virginian Pilot 6/18/1988 p. D1
“Ferry Plantation House,” http://ferryplantation.org/history/brief-history
Ferry Plantation House,” from Wikipedia
Colonial Connections, Ferry Plantation House,
"History of Thalia,http://markers.appropriatelyrandom.net/tag/summerville-plantation
The Thalia Community Story! Summerville & Ferry Plantations: Family Connections” (Excerpted from the upcoming book on the history of Thalia) by Deni Norred  http://archive.today/oKyT#selection-13.0-37.45 
"Gleanings on Walke Family Homes," by Calvert Walke Tazewell, Editor, 1988 http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ferry/walkehou.txt



(21) 1769 - Pleasant Hall at 5184 Princess Anne Rd., Virginia Beach in Kempsville (5 miles south). Pleasant Hall was built as a private residence by George Logan in 1769. Peter Singleton I grew up here and left the house to his son Isaac Singleton and wife Suzanna (Sukey) Thoroughgood Singleton, parents of Peter Singleton II who built Bayville. Currently Pleasant Hall is owned by Kempsville Baptist Church. “Virginia Beach, Then and Now,” by Amy Hayes Castleberry, 2010, page 48.
http://www.carolshouse.com/structures/pleasanthall
Virginia Beach, A History of Virginia's Golden Shore,” by Amy Waters Yarsinske, page 103 http://books.google.com/books?id=MXq4SWS-s6QC&pg=PA103&lpg=PA103&dq=singleton+bayville+farm+virginia+beach&source=bl&ots=GazLCsJTct&sig=vhUONr89pxoqTFnhU07Eh_esvKc&hl=en&sa=X&ei=yvfoUOKwNbO02AXnl4CIAg&ved=0CD4Q6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=singleton%20bayville%20farm%20virginia%20beach&f=false

(22) 1791 - The Thomas Murray House at 3425 S. Crestline Dr. (7.2 miles west) located on Kings Creek and was one of four homes constructed on the Murray flax plantation. It was built by Isaac Murray for his son Thomas. The house is a Georgian style home with a gambrel roof and brick laid in Flemish bond. The home stands two stories with a full cellar. The interior of the home features a wide central hall and fireplaces in the master bedroom, kitchen, living room, dining room and cellar. The original heart pine flooring with random width planks has been retained throughout the home. The mantels appear to be original and have the same design or similar ones to the mantels in Isaac Murray's manor house. http://www.vbgov.com/government/departments/planning/boards-commissions-committees/Pages/VB%20Historical%20Register/Thomas-Murray-House.aspx


(23) 1810 - The Thomas Woodhouse House at 3067 W. Neck Rd. (12.3 miles south) was built in 1810 by John Frizzell in the Federal architecture style, a wood frame two-story structure with a brick American bond chimney with Flemish bond headers and asphalt shingles. The Woodhouse cemetery, where Thomas is buried, is near a dilapidated barn. Captain Thomas Woodhouse bought the house in 1811. Today the Fountain family own the property. The home is one of the few buildings of its type in Virginia Beach, representing the transition from Colonial and Georgian architecture to Federal style in the region. “Virginia Beach, Then and Now,” by Amy Hayes Castleberry, 2010, page 74.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodhouse_House_(Virginia_Beach,_Virginia)

 (24) 1827 – Bayville Farm Manor House (no longer in existence) at 4137 1st Court Road on the Bayville Golf Club grounds (4.8 miles NE) was built by Peter Singleton II, a Thoroughgood descendant. He grew up at Pleasant Hall. Shortly after he finished the Bayville house he lost it in a game of cards. A few years later the estate came into the ownership of a Mr. Garrison who made Bayville the center of the county’s social life prior to the Civil War. The land was farmed, especially for strawberries that were shipped north. A dairy provided milk for most of Princess Anne County, and Arabian horses were bread. In 1919 Charles F. Burroughs Sr bought the farm. In Aug 2008 the house burned to the ground. “Virginia Beach, Then and Now,” by Amy Hayes Castleberry, 2010, page 15.
http://www.archiplanet.org/wiki/Bayville_Farm
http://vail3.com/images/bayville_article_1-10.pdf

 (25) 1897 - Charles Mitchell Barnett House at 521 Fairfax Avenue in Norfolk (9.5 miles east) built by Charles M. Barnett (1869 - 1924). This was one of his three homes (his others were a home in New York City and the  Ferry Plantation House). He moved in 1898 to the Ferry Plantation House. In Oct 1912 his wife Stella died from toadstool poisoning.  Charles lived on at Ferry Plantation until his death in 1924. Barnett was in the shipping and oyster business, and he shipped the famous Lynnhaven Oysters all over, including to New York’s Waldorf Astoria Hotel and Grand Central Station. Though his New York connection, Old Donation Church was able to obtain a $7,000 loan from a New York bank to rebuild ODEC in 1914. He and his wife Stella Barnett held oyster roasts for church members at their Ferry Farm Plantation home alternating with Judge White at his White Acre home, both roasts located next to the Lynnhaven River.
http://www.dhr.virginia.gov/registers/Cities/Norfolk/122-0061_Ghent_HD_1980_Final_Nomination.pdf

 (26) 1830 – Oak Hill built by the Woodhouse family near 1040 Caton Dr, Virginia Beach, VA, 23454 and Oak Hill Ct. facing Linkhorn Bay (10.9 miles east). The house was constructed in the Federal style and sits on the foundation of an earlier structure.  Virginia Beach, Then and Now,” by Amy Hayes Castleberry, 2010, page 25.


(27) 1832 - Old Comfort at 1437 N Woodhouse Road built in 1832 by Henry Robert Woodhouse (1811 - 1890) – (11.4 miles east) was built using slave labor in 1832 by Henry Robert Woodhouse, the 8th generation from Henry Woodhouse III (see House no 5 above).  It is called a Half House, common in this area in the early 19th Century, and thus named because Henry had planned to build the other half later, when he was prosperous enough to afford it. Because of a childhood illness Henry became stone deaf at 11 years of age. This physical handicap kept him from serving in the Confederate Army, but he was loyal to the cause of the south and was for years a friend of General Robert E. Lee who visited him at his home on Linkhorn Bay. When the war was over, and slaves freed, the Woodhouse slaves all stole off in the middle of the night leaving behind tiny baby Jim who was found the next morning in the kitchen and raised by the Woodhouse family. Henry Woodhouse died in 1890, and followed by his wife Mary in 1907. “Virginia Beach, Then and Now,” by Amy Hayes Castleberry, 2010, page 27.
 http://1bob9.blogspot.com/2009/06/old-donation-history.html



(28) 1855 - White Acre  (no longer in existence) at 2478 White Acres Ct. (1.9 miles NE). Judge White (1868-1946) purchased his ancestral home White Acre, built in the 1850’s on several hundred acres overlooking the southwestern branch of the Lynnhaven River at Witchduck Bay (today’s White Acres Court), and restored it to its old-time charm. To purchase and restore White Acre, Benjamin possibly used funds from the sale of property, known as Woodstock Farm, inherited from his father Caleb White. Benjamin was Caleb’s only son. However, more likely Judge White used funds acquired from wise real estate purchases. In keeping with his interests in flowers and animals, he brought to his White Acre lawn magnificent camellia and azalea bushes, and many domestic and wild animals including wild geese and beautiful flamingos. In his will he wrote, "I desire my Canadian wild geese delivered to the U.S. Government, to be placed, if possible, on some wild life sanctuary." White Acre was one of the most prominent show places on the Lynnhaven River in its day and Benjamin hosted annual oyster roasts for the church and neighbors until 1934 when the roast moved to the church grounds



(29) 1920 - The Parks Home off Kings Way Lane at 4300 Calverton Lane (at the end of the lane) on Witchduck Bay (1.4 miles northwest) built by Rufus I and Diana Parks.  They joined Old Donation just after the 1916 reconstruction. Diana Talbot Walke Parks established the Altar Guild and served as its chairman until 1971. She originated the church Christmas pageant in 1926 and was instrumental in establishing Old Donation’s annual Oyster Roast and Bazaar in 1934.  Ann Parks (1917 - 2002), daughter of Diana Parks, dedicated herself to service at Old Donation for over 70 years. In the 1930’s, in addition to her long hours at fund raisers, she was active in rehabilitating the neglected historical Old Donation Cemetery by establishing a burial plot book and moving several historic tomb stones to the church cemetery that had been left neglected in other locations. Along with Etehl Howren (1905 - 1983), she was among the first women to serve on the vestry.  In 2003 Reverend Irwin M. Lewis christened the Parks Memorial Fine Arts Series in honor of the highly esteemed Parks family.

Not only was Diana Parks active in rehabilitating the neglected historical Old Donation Cemetery, she made many structural upgrades to the Parks Home, shoring and underpinning the foundation. In 2010 the owner thought the best thing to do was to raze the house. The 3 acre estate was finally sold for $712,500 (a steal) in June 2012 with the current home owner having made a pre-purchase inspection of the home realizing only minor repairs were needed. The current owners now have a mansion with 600 feet of waterfront on the Lynnhaven River worth millions.
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4300-Calverton-Ln-Virginia-Beach-VA-23455/60678123_zpid

Other Historic Houses Built / Owned by People Outside
Lynnhaven Parish / Old Donation Church

1832 – Brown’s Tavern at 2176 General Booth Boulevard – 12 miles south

1857 – The Baxter House at 3175 Land of Promise Road by Isaac N. Baxter (unknown if ODEC Parishioners) – 18 miles south
http://cdm15419.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15419coll8/id/172/rec/12

1865 - Bayville Farms House / Church Point Manor at 4001 Church Point Road built in about 1865, the original owners were the Garrison family (unknown if ODEC Parishioners) – 4.2 miles north
http://churchpointmanor.com
http://churchpointmanor.com/history
http://www.carolshouse.com/structures/bayvillefarms

1895 - deWitt Cottage (Home of the Atlantic Wildfowl Heritage Museum) at 1113 Atlantic Avenue was built in 1895 by Bernard Peabody Holland (unknown if ODEC Parishioner).
http://www.virginiabeachhistory.org/dewitt.html

1908 – The Dr. John Miller-Masury House at 515 Wilder Road built in 1908 for Dr. John Miller Masury (unknown if ODEC Parishioner) – 12.6 miles east -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:John_Miller_Masury_House_515_Wilder_Rd_Va_Beach_9_2012.JPG
http://books.google.com/books?id=NJa_64aH1iMC&pg=PA531&lpg=PA531&dq=Dr.+John+Miller-Masury+House++515+Wilder+Point+built+in&source=bl&ots=PD-Fkx24bJ&sig=PNQzj4sQ4sqG7f1_QjXSYTNwF9Q&hl=en&sa=X&ei=keToUNCFB6_a2wWsxoDIDQ&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=Dr.%20John%20Miller-Masury%20House%20%20515%20Wilder%20Point%20built%20in&f=false

1932 - The Briarwood at 1500 Southwick Rd. built in 1932 for James Bingham, Jr. (unknown if ODEC Parishioner) – 9.4 miles east
http://www.dhr.virginia.gov/registers/Cities/VirginiaBeach/134-0600_Briarwood_2012_NRHP_FINAL.pdf

1959 - The Andrew B. Cooke House, at the end of 51st Street on Crystal Lake, was designed in 1953 and completed in 1959 for Andrew B. & Maude Cooke. Along with the Pope-Leighey House and the Luis Marden House, it is one of three Frank Lloyd Wright designs in Virginia. The home is an example of green building before its time. It was built into a sand dune under pine trees. An arcing wall of windows faces south and soaks up light and heat. Inside, the great room holds Wright's furniture, cypress wood beams, a heated concrete floor and a large hearth cleaved in the masonry. A copper, cantilevered roof tops the home, which follows the shape of a question mark. 
Frank Lloyd Wright home in Virginia Beach sells for $2.2M,” November 17, 2016
http://wtop.com/virginia/2016/11/frank-lloyd-wright-home-in-virginia-beach-sells-for-2-2m/slide/1